Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Duuudeee it's not like that

As I was researching inspiration to make a moth-eaten looking skirt (as an excuse to keep an already hole-y but so heart-breakingly perfect skirt from Target--it's olive green, has pockets!) of course I came across article upon article upon blog post on the apparent travesty that was the Balmain shredded t-shirt.


 Who would pay more than $1,000 for this shirt?? The rich are delusional...Why would I pay money to look homeless!  I had forgotten the comments, but rereading them was really....urghhh ( I dunno why I do it).  So here's a piece of my mind.

1.  Yes, it is crazy if you pay that money just to get the brand name shredded T-shirt

2. However, designers have to charge that kind of money, since you crazy people only think of it as a luxury good with that crazy price.  You probably wouldn't even buy it if it was priced what it was worth.

3.  It's more than clothing, it's not just an article you wear on your body, it's art, it's an concept, it's an idea.  (Poop in a can, anyone?) Which brings me to the last point...

4. Fashion isn't always about looking pretty, contrary to all those diluted magazines out there.  Sometimes it's just about creating a character, and a hobo is a pretty cool character to be.  Sea of Shoes Girl  does it nicely (even though I don't think that's the look she was going for)

all those layers.  all those textures, and the green for color.  So. freaking. Awesome.  With the rope tie and the lace up sandals, it could very well be the inspiration for my elf/nymph/forest creature ensemble.  also is perfect for latest obsession with clothing that isn't so much clothing as cloth--swathes of it that seem as much part of a persona as one's own skin and hair.  Cue googling of hobos (rags) and greek gods (togas).

5. So feel free to DIY away those faux-destroyed pieces of clothing (as if I'm giving permission).  But if you're just doing just because it's "on-trend"....ehhh, not so cool.  (related: Why do people BUY distressed jeans??)

No comments:

Post a Comment