Saturday, October 29, 2011

Hippie Beauty Remedies for Non-Hippies Part 2

...I mixed a concoction of super sour organic yogurt and table salt and slathered it on gently in circular motions.  It was great, the salt was exfoliated while the yogurt hydrated and softened, making it easier for dead cells to be polished away by the salt without overdrying (which would lead me back to the cycle of pimples) as well as cleansing itself with its lactic acid,  steering me to the perfectly balanced skin I was looking for. I left it on for 15 minutes and washed away.  My skin was poreless and glowy, my broken capillaries finally silent again.  It was like my own cheap version of Sabon's Face Polisher.

I did this for the rest of the week, leaving the unpalatable mixture in the fridge where the coldness further calmed the skin as well as let the concoction develop a satisfying thick consistency.  Gradually my skin returned to my original state, nearly pimple-less yet still moisturized.

With some leftover honey, a did a honey wash as well--known for its antibacterial properties it was great for my eczema prone and acne prone skin.  Don't leave it on for too long though, a 2-3 minute massage and wash is good enough. 

I tried some witch hazel as cleanser/toner, man did that leave my skin clean.  I love and hate when I see all the weird stuff that's been sitting on my face, and boy did my skin glow.

Jojoba to moisturize.  Use the right amount and you'll kill eczema and acne in one fell swoop. Too much and you'll beckon acne right back again.   Glowy soft skin. 

Words of Experience:

1.  I hope you can take these remedies and improve your own skin.  I know every now and then a fad pops off with dozens of women boasting they haven't washed their hair with store bought shampoos in forever and that their hair is BETTER than EVER while all the first of us see is a lanky mop on their heads and untweezed eyebrows.  But guess what, I still use shampoo.  I still use sunscreen.  I still have my tiny emergency tube of salicylic acid.  That doesn't mean these remedies don't work,  I'm saying it's a balance.  There is no miracle cure, it's a combination of treatments, You have healthy skin everyday, you don't have to worry about apocalyptic breakouts. But human creations still work, my friends.

2. Don't overdo it.  Americans have the tendency to latch onto a "miracle" cure-all from mother nature, slab it on by the ton, and when that backfires, they angrily declare that it's a phony. Well of COURSE if you leave the honey overnight you're going to have some sensitivity, OF COURSE if you drop have the bottle of jojoba on your face you're going to break out, it's ALL ABOUT MODERATION.  Salt makes food taste good.  So does garlic.  Does that mean you're going to add as much salt and garlic to a dish to make it taste good?

3. Some foods are better left for eating.  Does green tea work? Does lemon juice? I don't really know.  I've definitely not seen any harm (lemon juice you shouldn't leave on for more than a minute though) but I haven't seen enough of a benefit.  I'm telling you, some foods will do many more wonders for your skin and body in you ingest them rather than slather them on the surface.  Eat fish, don't rub the oil on your face.  Eat avocados, don't leave them in your hair.

4. Eat healthy.  Eating a cheeseburger everyday and using these remedies aren't going to do a load of help. Try a banana, and save the splurges for the weekend.  ( I still like cheeseburgers).
4. Everything is connected.  You don't treat dry skin OR pimples, they both come from the same problem.  Combination skin isn't such a radical idea, it's just human skin.



Next post: The last part!

No comments:

Post a Comment