Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Dream Diary Post 1

I still don't know dream summary etiquette.  I know "I had the weirdest dream last night" is supposed to be a cue to stop listening.  But the thing is, everyone wants to share that weird dream, that unshakeable twisted feeling while you found a secret garden or talked to your dog in English while having breakfast with George Clooney.  But no one wants to hear it. Why?  1. They had to be there. 2. Dream recounts can often be an implicit boast of "check out my interesting brain, yo!"

And I think back to the times that I've listened to other people's dreams...ok so my eyes do glaze over when I hear about the fantastical stuff...tap dancing on a frog while jousting with your principal...save that for your drawings, I guess.  But the realistic stuff, having a dream that you were still in that horrid AP US history class and 4 journals of homework uncompleted, that you made up with that estranged friend and woke up and realized you didn't...the dreams that are obviously tied to conscious preoccupations...those I don't mind hearing about as much.

This wasn't the most interesting, but I dunno today was the day I decided to actually write them down

I had this dream where I had six unannounced guests in my house, my parents' house, rather.  I was practicing piano with someone I don't remember, feeling annoyed that one of the lines required me to reach my pinky octaves lower than the rest of the melody, and pop back up.  An acquaintance appeared sitting on the white couch and made some inappropriate lewd comment regarding a princess illustration on one of sheets of music (evidently the sheet music transformed to nursery tunes) and I walked out of the room.  Then my 6 guests arrived.  I felt a flash of panic and wondered how my mom would take it though she was standing not 20 feet from me.  I eyed the giant oriental rug on our family room floor imagining them side by side like pigs in a blanket thinking...well it's not so bad if they stayed there...not very obtrusive...I imagined them walking through the halls touching things they saw touching the things in my room and my stomach clenched...
all of a sudden I was waking up in the top bunk of a bunk bed, of two bunk beds in my room, I looked to the right and saw two recognizable curled bodies on the other bunk, confused for a moment because one of the boys was not there the evening before, and thinking, well of course he's here, he's always mooching off of other people...a couple people were already in the midst of leaving, going wherever they were going in the haze of the morning...
and then I was on the floor next to the bottom bunk of my bed and there's my friend, but with the body of a baby...with the chubby face and chubby hands and abbreviated chunky torso...and my other friend remarked matter-of-factly (with a tint of I-can't believe you didn't know this) everyone wakes up with the body of a baby...and then we grow throughout the day...and I thought, oh really, as I picked up my friend, holding her with my hands under her armpits dangling her in front of me...and when I looked up again all my other friends became mounds of sleeping babies...
We're on the floor of the foyer and there's two groups of kids getting ready to go upstairs for their science lessons.  I'm usually with one group but wander to the other because a lot of them have been absent...I look in my hands and there are giant plaster models of ears and noses...evidently we were going to stick fake earwax and boogers into the respective crevices to learn about germs.  This second group acts like I'm supposed to be there all along, and I see my group of kids walking up the stairs to the labs already...I feel like I'm getting left behind, being somewhere I'm not supposed to be...
I'm in the apartment of a fictional sister of my friend, I was staring at her under the pretense she was a stranger until she starts talking to me and recognition dawns instantly.  She had just graduated from college and was holding a diploma and wearing her robes...it was an amazing feat because she was around 32, even though her face was still oily and pockmarked with acne, and had an 8 year old daughter. She thanked me for reading to her daughter while she was away and I said it was no problem I do it all the time and started giving some advice about hard work vs being smart how being smart is only half the battle blah blah blah (this was the most lucid part of my dream where my conscious brain was contributing) and then I woke up.

No comments:

Post a Comment