Friday, September 6, 2013

20 (I only made it to 8)

Sitting in my drafts folder since 2010

I wrote a list of 18 things when I turned 18 so there's a lot of pressure to make this more sophisticated and whatnot (am I older, wiser?) but the truth is it's just not going to come out that way.  I'm just making different, not wiser revelations.  Happy golden 20th anyways.

Truths

1. Sometimes I avoid the things I love/anticipate the most because I know it's going to be too much and I'm gonna want to absorb it too fast and I'm not ready yet.  So I just pretend it doesn't exist yet.
**and the thought that a million people are out there loving it is too.much. (hello new harry potter books, vampire weekend records, kanye west records, regina spektor records, daft punk records)

2. I like all things lemon and lime related.

3.  Shopping is fun but it should not be considered a hobby.

4. I think it would be a lot easier to be a human if people were just to sit for a moment and delineate between what they want to want to do (think about that for a moment)  and what they really want to do during their lives.  Being a doctor is all well and noble but sometimes you just want to be a freelance writer. Follow your passion, it'll save you a lot of circling back 10, 20 years from now.

5. Unless your aspiration is to be a dog whisperer or play techno-calypso music--in that case nevermind--take that job on Wall Street. Eating is nice.

6.  I find lots of cliches to be true and useful (well duh, they became cliches somehow).  But it takes arriving at that particular milestone in your life to wholly imbibe the meaning and meaningfulness of said cliches.

7.  I can see that at age 20, I have not matured beyond using the very eloquent word of "duh."

8.  I like simple pleasures, the little things.  A stick of gum, a cancelled appointment, nice weather, the relieved feeling after...relieving yourself #urine.


No comments:

Post a Comment