Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Jewelry Vows

I will not make letter jewelry unless I come up with some really original execution concept

I will not make number jewelry unless I come up with some some really original execution concept

I will not simply pluck designs and objects from my surroundings without reinterpreting them (e.g., punctuation, sharpened pencils, animals)

I will not directly cast found objects unless I come up with some some really original execution concept

I will not make personalized name jewelry unless I come up with some some really original execution concept

I will adorn my metal pieces in settings other than pavé

I will not make rings by just sticking some design on a plain band I will always think of my designs from all angles

I will never make traditional jewelry that someone can just pick up from Zales or the jewelry district. Sure it would be nice to make money from a customer that wants plain gold hoops, diamond studs, or a solitaire ring, but there's no point to spend the labor and time and money to make something that is unremarkable and unrecognizable as my work.

I will never reproduce antique jewelry, unless I really, really want to.  And I will never call them my own designs.





Shit.  But I might have to make gold star pieces.  I just have to.  It's a childhood thing, obviously.

No comments:

Post a Comment